Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Surf Star and Shark Attack Survivor Makes Splash at Fiji Competition


Bethany Hamilton, who lost her left arm in a shark attack more than a decade ago, wowed spectators at the Women’s Pro surfing competition in Fiji, beating six-time world champion Stephanie Gilmore to advance to semifinals. 
Hamilton was an emerging surfing star in Hawaii when she was attacked by a shark in 2003, at the age of 13. She lost her left arm and nearly died from the blood loss. 
After writing an autobiography, Hamilton returned to surfing, and was invited to the Fiji competition on a wild-card spot. 
“Even after losing my arm,” she told the World Surf League at the competition. “I’m still like doing everything I’ve hoped I could do in my future and even more. I feel like I’m a reminder for young girls that ‘you can do it if you set your mind to it.'”
Hamilton said that she’s dreamed of coming to Fiji, and that the entire competition has been “a blast.” She had defeated top-ranked surfer Tyler Wright and Stephanie Gilmore before being eliminated by Johanne Defay in semifinals. 
“Steph and Tyler and Chris are three of my favorite female surfers and I was pretty daunted,” Hamilton said. “At the end of the day, it’s just getting it together and catching the right waves and just surfing my best.”

  • Blogger Comments
  • Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Item Reviewed: Surf Star and Shark Attack Survivor Makes Splash at Fiji Competition Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Admin